Support Our Troops
Each and every day, over a million people serve our country, helping protect us both at home and overseas.
From their time in active service to when they return home as veterans, these heroes can face unique physical and emotional challenges. Whatever your age, it’s easy to find ways to help service people and veterans wherever you live.
Ready to make a difference?
- Download the Give Back App (iPhone | Android coming soon!) and find ways to help support our troops near you
- Create an account so you can favorite activities and causes, earn points and badges, track your hours, and see your impact
- Use our our activity finder and choose Support Our Troops
- Read on to learn more about this cause…
Checking this out for your kids?
We need your support to keep making great educational materials for young people, parents, and teachers.
How can you help?
There are a lot of ways you can support our veterans and troops where you live:
- Send a care package. Care packages help troops get the items they need year-round and improve morale and well-being. Here are some ideas on what to include in your care package.
- Write a letter. There’s nothing like getting a thoughtful, handwritten letter. Writing a letter to a service member deployed overseas can help boost their spirits while they’re far from home. Get started here.
- Raise money or donate. Through activities like bake sales, you can raise money and donate it to your local veteran’s organization. You can also donate goods, like blankets, to veterans in need and their families.
- Say “Thank you.” Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone else is make them feel appreciated. Thanking active duty service people and veterans you see out and about can go a long way to brightening their day. Start by writing a thank you card.
- Organize a cell phone drive. Collect unwanted phones, and donate them to be recycled. The funds go to helping connect military members with their loved ones. Start your drive.
These are just some of the inspiring partners we work with to help support our troops:
- Soldiers’ Angels. Find ideas for your family to give back to the troops, like making no-sew blankets. (National)
- Cell Phones for Soldiers. Learn about a great cause, and see why donating used cell phones is such a big help. (National)
Reading is a great way to better understand the causes you care about and how you can help. Here are some books and online resources to get you started.
The books, websites, charities, and/or other entities we share does not imply explicit endorsement by PGK, nor does PGK have any responsibility for the content provided by other organizations or websites. Content on this site is provided for informational purposes only.
Elementary school readers
Veterans: Heroes in Our Neighborhood
by Valerie Pfundstein
Hero Mom and Hero Dad
by Melinda Hardin
H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet and One Nation
by David Scillian
Proud as a Peacock, Brave as a Lion
by Jane Barclay
by Eve Bunting
The Poppy Lady: Moina Belle Michael and her Tribute to Veterans
by Barbara Walsh
Middle school readers
If You’re Reading This
by Trent Reedy
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
by John Boyne
High school readers
The Impossible Knife of Memory
by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Things a Brother Knows
by Dana Reinhardt