Concord, MA 01742
In early February, we open up the online sign-up process for the season. Farm volunteer sessions are scheduled from early April through late October, Wednesday through Saturday mornings and afternoons.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Children ages 5 - 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Individuals ages 15 and over may volunteer on their own.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Volunteers help us grow and donate over 120,000 pounds per year of freshly harvested, healthy organic produce and flowers. Weekly June - October, children and adults in over 1,000 food-insecure households can eat high quality, fresh food that was grown and harvested earlier that day by people who care about them.
Join our farmers in hands-on tasks such as preparing the soil, nurturing the plants, harvesting and washing the produce. Because of your help, we can donate all of the vegetables, fruit, flowers and herbs that we grow to fifteen food pantries and meal programs in the Boston Metrowest area. This means the families who need this healthy nourishment the most are getting the best food possible, grown with the most loving care.
Farm work is outside—there’s always something to do, rain or shine. Wear clothes and shoes that can get dirty. Bring a hat and sun protection for warmer days or jackets and rain gear for cold or wet days. Bring a water bottle and a snack.
- All volunteers must complete and sign a short online screening to verify that they have not recently been at risk of exposure to COVID-19. We will happily reschedule your volunteer shift should the screening indicate that it is unsafe for you to volunteer at the farm as originally planned.
- All volunteers must sign our updated Release & Waiver of Liability which acknowledges the inherent risks posed by the virus and by volunteering on a working farm.
- Upon arrival, volunteers should wash their hands with soap & water for at least 20 seconds, using the wash station provided by Gaining Ground.
- We request that volunteers use the designated volunteer bathroom (port-a-potty) and do not enter the barn.
- Volunteers should maintain a 6-foot distance from others (except immediate family members) while on the farm whenever possible.
- Gaining Ground staff will discuss safety protocols with everyone on-site and will demonstrate how to safely do the day’s work.
Go to our website to read our guidelines and sign up.
During the busy season, it may take 2–3 days for us to follow up with you, so please schedule well in advance.
See VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below for details.
- Sign up on our website for a date and time that works for you and anyone joining you as family member or part of a larger group. Any session must be booked at least 1 day in advance of the desired date (and preferably 3 days in advance) by filling out our online form to tell us about yourself and your needs.
- Once the form is filled out correctly and submitted, you will immediately receive an email confirmation of your request. If you do not receive this, check that there is no missing information on the online form.
- Since we are juggling many variables to determine the best scheduling fit, we will let you know as soon as possible if we need to shift you to another date or time.
- Show up ready to help the farmers and take in the joy and wonder of being in the great outdoors.
- Wear suitable clothing and closed-toe shoes.
- Bring water, snacks and sun protection.
- Still have questions? Please contact us!
- Be sure to let us know that you found this volunteer activity through PGK!
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.