In your community: grocery store and home, or perhaps your neighborhood, place of worship and/or school, if doing as a group project.
Ongoing activity throughout the year.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, troop, or other group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items).
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
We serve families that come to Boston when a loved one needs specialized medical care. Welcoming them with a bag of snacks that they can take with them to the hospital to get them started is comforting and gives them time to figure things out and focus on what it is important - taking care of their sick family member.
Make bags with either snacks or breakfast items for families that come to Boston for medical care. "Welcome Bags" are bags filled with either snacks or breakfast for families, so they can focus on what is important, taking care of their loved one that is at the hospital. Use our suggested list, assemble them into a nicely decorated bag and include a get well card. Please deliver your Welcome Bags to our office so we can deliver them to the families when they arrive to Boston.
1. Bag to decorate
2. Stickers and markers to decorate bag
3. Get well card
4. Items to fill bag - some suggestions:
- Small bottled waters (2)
- Single serving microwavable mac & cheese (2)
- Instant noodle soup (2)
- Instant oatmeal packets (2)
- Cracker sleeve (such as Ritz) (1)
- Small Chex mix bag or salty snack/chips (2)
- Energy bars/granola bars (2)
- Small cookie/animal cracker type snacks (
ONLY NON-PERISHABLE, SEALED items. NO nut products PLEASE.
Follow the instructions detailed in VIEW INSTRUCTIONS to get started. For more information or to schedule a drop off of completed bags, email Denise Duclos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Purchase items from suggested list or do a drive to collect suggested items.
2. Decorate a gift bag so it can bring a smile to the receiving family member.
3. Fill the bag with some of the items suggested.
4. Create a cheerful note or get well card to be included in/on each bag. Consider decorating with stickers, ribbon, etc. and include your group name, if applicable. Some examples:
"Made with love by XXXX" or "Wishing you a speedy recovery" , "Welcome to Boston” or “Get Well Soon”.
5. Deliver bags to Hospitality Homes (1018 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02446).
* Please note, food must be sealed in original packaging. No nut products please.
6. Be sure to let us know that you found this activity through PGK.
7. Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.