Our reading centers are located on elementary school campuses.
- In Milpitas, we are located at Alexander Rose Elementary School
- In San Jose, we are located at Chavez, Arbuckle, Bachrodt, and San Antonio Elementary Schools and Aptitud Academy.
- In Sunnyvale, we are located at Bishop, Ellis, Lakewood, San Miguel and Vargas Elementary Schools.
- In Redwood City-Belmont, we are located at Ford, Selby, Nesbit, and Castro Elementary Schools
Our program operates during the school year of our local elementary schools, and the volunteering occurs on Mondays through Thursdays generally from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM (depending on the school site -- ask us if you're curious about the times that are open). Fridays are generally reserved for student make up sessions.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Anyone from 14 and older can participate in this activity without an adult helping. We have a Site Coordinator who is on-site to assist at all times.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Becoming a Reading Partner not only helps a student become a better reader, it helps them gain the skills and confidence they need to succeed. Having the fundamental literacy skills sets our students up for success academically and beyond. Our program also helps our students become more confident learners in school.
You can make a difference in the life of a child in just one hour a week. Becoming a Reading Partner is the opportunity to help students who struggle with reading, by helping them build strong literacy skills, gain confidence, and discover a passion for reading. You can be a mentor, a leader, and a friend to student in need.
All volunteers need to attend an orientation, provide proof of a negative TB test within 4 years, and complete a background check if 18 years or older.
Minimum age is 14 years old.
All volunteers must complete a background check if 18 years and older.
All volunteers must show proof of negative TB within 4 years.
1. Sign up to be a reading partner.
2. One of our volunteer coordinators will contact you to schedule an orientation.
3. Attend an orientation and turn in your proof of negative TB.
4. Schedule your first session session to begin working with your student.
5. Attend your weekly scheduled tutoring session.
6. Make a difference by helping a child learn to read!