Bikes Not Bombs 284 Amory St. Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
Every Wednesday night from 6-9 PM EST
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Each year we collect roughly 5,000 used bicycles and tons of used parts from our supporters around Greater Boston and New England.
We ship most of these bikes overseas to economic development projects through our international partners in Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Some of the bikes are repurposed in our youth programs where teens learn bicycle safety and mechanics skills. Our retail bike shop also reconditions and sells some of the donated bikes that we receive, while employing graduates of our programs.
By helping process bikes at Volunteer Night, you will give us a heads up on all of these program activities.
Come help us process donated bikes for use in Bikes Not Bombs programs!
Work may include the following common tasks:
- "Flattening" bikes: turning the handlebars sideways and the pedals inside out so that the bikes fit easily into a shipping container to send overseas in our international programs
- "Stripping" bikes: taking all the parts off of a frame (needs to be done for bikes that have some broken pieces)
- Sorting parts
- Building up bikes
- General cleaning, housekeeping, and other tasks
Try to wear clothes that can get dirty. Closed-toed footwear is required to ensure the safety of all program participants.
No prior experience is necessary! We can accommodate volunteers under 18 years old with consent from a parent (first time volunteers must sign consent forms upon entry).
Pre-registration is required. View our Volunteer Night page for more information.
- Pre-registration is required.
- Please let us know you learned about this opportunity through PGK.
- All skill-levels and ages are welcome!
- Spots are available for the first 20 registrants.
- Try to wear clothes that can get dirty. Closed-toed footwear is required to ensure the safety of all program participants.
- Occasionally, Volunteer Night will be canceled due to weather or a holiday. Such cancelations will appear in our events list on the home page.