All year round.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Family (ideally structured for family engagement).
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
For every family we help, we know there are countless others who shoulder debt-inducing hotel bills or delay treatment decisions due to a lack of appropriate housing. In 2014, we received over 600 applications requesting over 7,000 nights of housing. About 18% of those families had no place to stay because we did not have an appropriate host to match their needs. Adult and junior hosts form life-long relationships with their guests, and the help they provide is priceless.
Inviting people, who live far away, to stay with you so they can visit the hospital to keep a sick relative or friend company during their treatment. Hosting is very flexible; it is only done when a family wants to do it. A family can specify types of guest, lengths of stay, etc.
A home with a clean and comfortable place to sleep, access to a clean bathroom, and the desire to make someone feel welcome.
Host families need to live in close proximity to Boston's major medical centers, as transportation can be an issue for visiting families. The entire family should feel comfortable participating as volunteer hosts.
Families potentially interested in serving as hosts should complete an online application at https://hosp.org/host-application/. For questions about the program, contact Denise Duclos at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (888) 595-4678 ext. 1. Host families need to live in close proximity to Boston's major medical centers, as transportation can be an issue for visiting families.
See VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below for details.
1. As a family, complete the online application at www.hosp.org. Be sure to let us know that you found this volunteer opportunity through PGK on the application.
2. Hospitality Homes staff will contact you via email and set up a time to meet with you at your home to conduct an orientation and to make sure the family home is a good place for hosting.
3. CORI (background) checks are done on the adults in the home.
4. As a family, complete a guest preference survey and mail it to the Hospitality Homes office.
5. Once Hospitality Homes receives the preference documents and the CORI check is clear, your family will begin receiving emails with guest requests needing a place to stay. Families are matched based on preferences and guests' needs.
6. Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.