Our theatre in Downtown Berkeley:
(Additional venues coming soon include San Francisco and Sunnyvale.)
Ongoing activity throughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Mom, Dad or other grown-up (some adult facilitation/involvement required)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
We want to make sure all of our audience members have a great time at the show, and we need help making that happen. We need ushers to welcome them into the theater, make sure they have a playbill, show them to the bathroom, and guard the stage for the actors. We want our audience to be able to fully use their imaginations while at the play, and making sure everything is set up to allow that to happen is very important. We are a nonprofit arts organization, which means we rely on the support of the community to help us either by donating money so we can allow low-income children to see our shows, or donating time, so that we have more money to spend on accessible programming and can hire fewer paid staff (in the case of ushers).
Are you looking for a fun and engaging way to learn about the arts and stretch your imagination? We are looking for teams of youth and adults (max. 2 adults and 3 kids) to join us as ushers at the theatre. Volunteers must:
- Arrive at the theatre in Downtown Berkeley early
- Take a tour
- Help prepare the theatre
- Greet the audience and pass out playbills
- Watch over the stage during intermission
- Help "strike the house"
- Watch the show for free!
1. Reliable transportation to/from the theatre
2. Ability to:
- Stand in one place for 15 minutes (to pass out playbills and watch over the stage)
- Follow basic directions
- Interact with people they don't know in a friendly manner
- Have fun!
Youth should be the minimum recommended age for the particular show they are ushering for. Those on the team need to be able to stand in one place for 15 minutes, follow basic directions, and interact with people they don't know in a friendly manner.
1. Check out the BACT website to see if we currently need ushers for upcoming shows.
2. Follow the link and pick the date that works best for your family.
3. Sign up, put it on your calendar, and a week before the show you'll get a reminder email.
4. Arrive at the theatre ON TIME (which is about 1 hour prior to the show time).
5. Check in with the front of house staff.
6. Usher in the theater; watch the show; help clean up the theater (extra playbills, etc)