Pasadena, Mid-City Los Angeles, Downtown Los Angeles, South Los Angeles (online option also available)
September through May
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDNone
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The time you dedicate to Reading Partners will make a difference in the life of a child. More than simply reading with a child, you will help your student gain key foundational skills to become a stronger reader. By sharing your knowledge and expertise, you will become a mentor, friend, and role model to the children you work with.
Together with our schools in the Los Angeles Area, Reading Partners focuses on students who are falling behind their peers in reading, harnessing the power of community volunteers to provide individualized instruction to help them master the reading fundamentals they need to reach grade level. Our trained, committed community volunteers work one-on-one with these students, both in-person and online, delivering a simple proven curriculum each week to help them gain critical skills.
Reliable transportation (for in-person tutoring) OR access to wifi and a computer (for virtual tutoring) required; all other supplies provided online or at the centers.
Volunteers must be 14 or older.
To become a volunteer, please sign up online at https://readingpartners.org/volunteer-los-angeles/.
1. Decide if you can commit a minimum of 1 hour each week to assist a child in need of reading support.
2. Visit https://readingpartners.org/volunteer-los-angeles/ to learn more and to sign up for a tutor orientation. When signing up, please choose "School/Work/Other Organization" when asked how you heard about Reading Partners, and write "Project Giving Kids" on the blank line.
3. Attend a virtual or in-person tutor orientation where you will learn about our easy-to-follow curriculum and the reading centers in the Los Angeles area where one-on-one literacy tutoring is provided.
4. Sign up for at least one hour-long session per week. We offer both in-person and virtual tutoring options.
5. Begin making a difference in the life of a child!