In your community.
WHENCertain times a year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
For kids under 16, an adult must be present, making this a gratifying family effort. Young adults under 18 must sign a parental consent form.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Given the COVID-19 crisis, food access is needed now more than ever. There is an increased urgency for food access now that a large proportion of the population is forced to stay away from public places due to COVID-19, notably those who are sick, quarantined, immunocompromised and elderly.
Volunteer Food Rescuers help us transport food from our food donor partners to local homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and other human service agencies in our communities. Each food rescue event typically takes less than an hour.
All Rescue Events can be done via your own vehicle. Some Events can be done by WALK SOLO or WALK GROUP as indicated on our calendar.
We are strictly requiring that no one who is ill or has been in contact with someone who is ill to please not volunteer with us during this time.
Please do not volunteer if you are over 60 years of age or are considered "at risk." Please follow all protocol for safe social distancing and other recommended CDC guidelines.
- Visit: www.RescuingLeftoverCuisine.org/Volunteer
- Please let us know you heard about the opportunity through PGK!
- Check: your inbox (or Spam folder if necessary)
- Start! Follow the steps in our email.
VOLUNTEER INSTRUCTIONS - IMPORTANT:
Schedules, food donations and recipient needs are changing rapidly. Please follow these instructions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Please be sure to check your Volunteer Account to view Upcoming Events and keep an eye out for cancellation/update emails to stay informed on the latest status of your Rescue Event(s).
- Please check our calendar to find an open Rescue Event (those which say NEEDS A RESCUER!).
- Please call about 1.5-2 hours ahead to confirm there’s food to recover and that hours of operation remain as planned. During the call, ask the donor to sanitize their hands and then bring the food outside, and to meet you outside with the food while practicing social distancing.
- If there is no answer after a few phone/text attempts with the Donor, please DO NOT attend the Rescue Event; Finish the event noting the Donor did not respond to you.
- Until further notice, please only use the “official instructions” that are emailed to you upon signing up for a Rescue Event for the Donor details and logistics portions. For the recipient portion, please email Dana@RescuingLeftoverCuisine.org to collaborate about where to bring food to.
- Thank you so much for your help during this pandemic.