on-site at our facility
Thursdays, 10am - 12nn EST
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Weekend Eats (formerly known as Backpacks) remains a small but mighty program whose purpose is to reduce weekend food insecurity in K-8 students in Cambridge and Somerville. Our committed group of volunteers put together over 3,200 bags of perishable and non-perishable food bags full of fruits, baby carrots, breakfast, lunch, and snack items. Due to the pandemic, our current program serves 6 schools/programs.
Our Weekend Backpack Programs improve access to healthy food for students in Cambridge and Somerville.
Both programs send home two lunches, two breakfasts, milk, and fresh fruit. The food is discreetly packed in the students’ backpacks each Friday afternoon, ensuring that students are better prepared to learn the following week.
Our Weekend Backpack Program is now available to every single elementary and upper school student in Cambridge and Somerville Public Schools.
15 years old
Please complete and submit the volunteer form and a member of our staff will get back to you. Click on VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below for details.
- Please complete and submit the volunteer form. Let us know that you found this service activity through PGK. Onboarding occurs within a month of filling out the volunteer form on the Food For Free website.
- Our Volunteer Manager will reach out to schedule an orientation call after reviewing your application and looking at our program needs.
- All volunteers must go through this mandatory “onboarding call” before volunteering in person.
- You will receive the rest of your volunteer training on-site at the program.
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.