DURATIONMore than 4 hours
You choose the place in your community: in your neighborhood, at your school, at a local business or place of worship, or any other location that works for you
All year long
WHO NEEDS TO HELP
Class, troop, or other group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Imagine getting dressed every day and not having a clean pair of underwear or a t-shirt to put on. Those experiencing homelessness may not have a place to store or wash clothing. They may also not have the means to purchase these daily basics when they run out or when the items become worn. In order to make sure our guests have clean clothing to wear, St. Francis House serves approximately 50 clothing appointments per day (M-F), which is 250 full sets of clothing per week! Your efforts and generosity are appreciated by the thousands who come to St. Francis House each year for a fresh pair of clothes, including these daily basics, in times of need.
St. Francis House provides 10,000 changes of clothes every year to homeless people in Boston. By hosting a collection drive for new t-shirts, socks, and/or underwear, you will help fill a need we never have quite enough of. These daily essentials will help keep poor and homeless individuals around Boston clean and healthy.
1. Computer, printer and paper to make flyers/signs
2. Large cardboard boxes or storage bins to collect donations
3. Plastic bags for transporting items (or shipping boxes, if mailing donations)
Decide when and where to hold your collection drive and follow the instructions provided. For questions or to schedule a time to drop off your donations, contact Frankie Bonilla, Clothing Program Supervisor, at email@example.com or (617) 457-1011.
1. Make signs and flyers letting people know that you are collecting adult sized t-shirts and NEW AND UNOPENED packages of socks and underwear for homeless men and women in Boston. Let them know how long you are running your collection (at least 2 or 3 weeks is suggested) and where they should bring their donations. Be sure to ask permission before placing donation bins in your selected location(s). Mark the bins clearly with signs telling all the details of your drive.
2. Put signs where you are allowed. (Be sure to ask first.) Electronic flyers and social media are also great ways to get the word out. Ask family and friends to help spread the word too!
3. Periodically check your donation bins during the course of your drive and empty out, as necessary (to make more room).
4. At the end of the collection period, put the donations in bags or boxes for transport. Again, please be sure that all items are new and unopened. (We cannot accept used t-shirts or underwear.) If you are mailing your donations, put them in a strong shipping box.
5. Drop off or mail your donations to:
St. Francis House
39 Bolyston Street
Boston, MA 02116
*We are able to accept donations daily between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.