At home: on your windowsill, backyard, patio, or front porch!
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
This is great for all ages and family engagement! Some adult help might be required for younger participants.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Community Services Unlimited Inc., operates an urban farm right in the heart of South Central Los Angeles. Your participation in nurturing young seedlings helps us diversify what we are growing on our farm and ensures local families have access to tasty, nutritious, organic food! Once your young seedlings are sturdy enough to be transplanted you will deliver them to CSU, from there we give them to a family in South Central. Your participation in this activity ensures that local families and individuals have the opportunity to grow their own organic food.
Community Services Unlimited is a non-profit organization located in South Central Los Angeles that uses food as a tool to build a healthy and resilient community. Through our Garden Gateway program we provide education on how to grow food naturally and how to prepare healthy dishes using food from your garden. For this project volunteers will produce seedlings that CSU will give away to Garden Gateway participants to help them build gardens that increase access to healthy food for their family and their community. Later, after community members have harvested from these plants they will save seeds and return them to the CSU Seed Library, helping us to continue the cycle of giving and health that volunteers start with their seedlings.
Ever wanted to experience the beauty of a seed growing? In this activity you will nurture the growth of a plant from seed! Throughout the journey you will learn what it takes to take care of a plant and get to watch your seeds grow every day!
- Organic soil
- Well draining pots/containers
- Access to sunlight
Although the initial activity will only take around 30-60 minutes taking care of your seeds means checking on them everyday. Good seed care means checking on them in the morning and afternoon to ensure they aren't getting burnt by the Sun and that they have enough water.
Contact Sage, the Youth Program Coordinator, by email at email@example.com to register.
See "View Instructions" below for details.
- Pre-registration is required by email
- Pick up seed packets from CSU, or use your own organic heirloom variety seeds (note they must be heirloom in order for us to collect seeds for the seed library)
- Organize all of your required supplies
- Review instructions on how to care for seeds--depends on type of plant you will be nurturing!
- Plant the seeds and be sure to place them where they have access to sunlight
- Check on them daily, water them and monitor progress!
- Once seeds are sturdy contact CSU in order to set up a drop off date and time 🙂
- Be sure to let us know this activity came from PGK
- Fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity