In your community - at your school, with your team, camp, place of worship, a local business, in your neighborhood, or any other location of your choosing.
All year long
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, troop, or other group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items).
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Think about how you feel playing sports when you are wearing the jersey or sports t-shirt of your favorite team or player. You probably feel confident, cool, and excited to show everyone what you are made of! For kids who enter the Doc Wayne program called "Chalk Talk," it can be hard for them to buy sports apparel to wear, as they often don't have the resources. Our kids also have another challenge. Sadly, they sometimes don't always feel loved and accepted, either by their classmates or by their families. By collecting sports t-shirts and jerseys for these kids, you show them that they belong, that people care about them AND you help them get ready to play sports. Thanks to you, they will be ready to take on their favorite sports outside at recess, at gym, and beyond.
Do you like sports and helping other kids? Then this is the perfect activity for you! Doc Wayne helps youth who have experienced difficult life circumstances feel that they belong, that they are special, and that others care about them through the fusion of sports and therapy. You can help by collecting new sports t-shirts/ jerseys for the kids to receive when they start our program, so they start both feeling and looking good.
1. Computer, printer and paper to make flyers/signs
2. Large cardboard boxes or storage bins to collect donations
3. Bags or boxes for transporting (or mailing) donated items
Items must be new with tags.
Decide when and where to hold your jersey drive and follow the instructions provided. For questions or to schedule a tiime to drop off your donations, contact Doc Wayne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Make signs or flyers letting people know you are collecting sport t-shirts and jerseys for kids ages 5-18 years old.
2. Let people know how long you are running your collection (at least 2 or 3 weeks is suggested) and where they should bring their donations. Be sure to ask permission before placing donation bins in your selected location(s). Mark the bins clearly with signs telling all the details of your drive. Be sure to let people know that all items must be new and still have their tags. (We can provide you with signs and collection ideas, if desired.)
3. Put signs in visible places, as well as on your collection boxes. (Be sure to ask first before posting signs.) Electronic flyers and social media are also great ways to get the word out! Ask family and friends to help spread the word too!
4. Periodically check your donation bins during the course of your drive and empty out, as necessary (to make more room).
5. At the end of the collection period, put the donations in bags for delivery (or boxes, if mailing).
6. Mail or deliver your donations to:
Doc Wayne Youth Services
418 Commonweatlth Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
*If delivering in person, please send an email to email@example.com and we will gladly set up a time for you to drop off your donations.