Anywhere you see trash!
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
As stewards of our local beaches, we take care of them through regular cleanups.
The San Francisco Surfrider Foundation is dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world’s ocean, waves and beaches, for all people, through a powerful activist network.
As we begin to see the light at the end of this tunnel we are still being cautious and due to city regulations the San Francisco Surfrider Foundation has suspended all in-person activities.
However, we are encouraging solo beach cleanups! JOIN US and follow some guidelines needed for people to get out and do solo/small cleanups.
All filled trash bags can be left near the trash bins on the Ocean Beach boardwalk (near stairwell 17), or near the dumpsters at Baker Beach. The National Park Service does trash removal every day BEFORE 2pm. DO NOT leave trash bags on the beach. If you decide to clean another beach you need to either pack the trash out with you or call 311 to schedule a removal service. We do not recommend leaving trash bags overnight since they can easily be torn open by critters or birds causing more garbage dispersal.
Since our SF programs are suspended at the moment, we will not be separating cigarette butts or doing data collection at this time. All trash removed can go into one bag.
We suggest all participants follow these rules for a successful solo cleanup.
- What to bring: Gloves, buckets and grabbers (if you have them), hand sanitizer, face covering, and large sturdy garbage bags.
- Wear gloves at all times (if you do not have access to latex disposable gloves, gardening gloves will do just fine).
- Bring a few heavy duty trash bags. Smaller plastic bags can be used during the cleanup, but all trash should be collected into a large trash bag at the end of the cleanup.
- Participants must follow San Francisco city regulations and wear a face covering at all times and maintain a physical distance of 6 feet.
Pick a day that you want to do a cleanup then follow the step-by-step instructions!
- Decide on your location
- Decide on a date!
- Get out there with a bucket, grabber, and gloves and start picking up trash.