In your community - at your school, camp, place of worship, a local business, in your neighborhood, or any other location of your choosing
All year long, but especially in the summer months leading up to the start of school
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, troop, or other group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
School on Wheels helps homeless children succeed in school. A new backpack stuffed with new school supplies is very important and special to kids who have very little. All kids like to have new things for the start of school, and homeless children are no different. By hosting a school supply drive, you will help kids living in traumatic situations feel excited about starting a new school year and give them the tools they need to succeed.
Homeless kids often don't have new backpacks or school supplies to start off a new school year. You can organize a school supply drive and School on Wheels will make sure your donations are distributed to students living in shelters and group foster homes around Los Angeles who need them. With your help, they can get their new school year off to a good start!
1. Computer, printer and paper to make flyers/signs
2. Large cardboard boxes or storage bins to collect donations
3. Bags or boxes for transporting (or mailing) donated items
Decide when and where to hold your supply drive and follow the instructions provided. For School on Wheel's current needs, visit our website. If you have any questions or to schedule a time to drop off your donations, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 641-1178.
1. Make signs/flyers letting people know you are collecting new school supplies for homeless kids served by School on Wheels. Include the items you are collecting. Some suggestions are provided below, but you can also visit the School on Wheels' website to get a list of the most up-to-date needs. We are also happy to send you stickers and bookmarks that you can hand out, as well as fliers and brochures to help you with your drive. Just email us at email@example.com to get these supplies.
2. Let people know how long you are running your collection (at least 2 or 3 weeks is suggested) and where they should bring their donations. Be sure to ask permission before placing donation bins in your selected location(s). Mark the bins clearly with signs telling all the details of your drive. Be sure to let people know that items should be new.
3. Put signs in visible places, as well as on your collection boxes. (Be sure to ask first before posting signs.) Electronic flyers and social media are also great ways to get the word out. Ask family and friends to help spread the word too!
4. Periodically check your donation bins during the course of your drive and empty out, as necessary (to make more room).
5. At the end of the collection period, complete our online material donation form so we can send you a receipt/thank you. If you have people who would like a personal receipt/thank you for tax purposes, please list their names and contact details.
6. Mail your donations to:
3150 San Fernando Road, Suite B
Los Angeles, CA 90065
*You may also schedule a time to drop off your donations by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (805) 641-1178.
Suggested Items for Your Drive:
1) School binders (2" or larger)
2) 3-ring ruled paper
3) Pencil sharpeners
4) Flash drives
6) Gift cards for school supplies
7) All the other typical school supplies you can think of (pencils, colored pencils, markers, crayons, highlighters, folders, calculators)