In your community.
All year long, but especially in the summer months leading up to the start of school.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, troop, business or any group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
You can make a difference for kids this summer by collecting new backpacks and school supplies so that even more children and teens have what they need to begin school in the fall.
More than 21,000 students enrolled in Massachusetts public schools are identified as homelessness. We provide customized backpacks, books and academic supplies to more than 5,000 students each year - and we're growing! Volunteer your family, group or company to stage a supply drive - or visit our headquarters to help customize backpacks for students in grades K - college. We will produce your personal flyer and help get you started! In addition to grade-level books and supplies, our volunteers add a personal note of inspiration into each backpack.
- Computer, printer and paper to make flyers/signs.
Large cardboard boxes or storage bins to collect donations.
Bags or boxes for transporting (or mailing) donated items.
All items must be NEW.
Decide when and where to hold your supply drive and follow the "VIEW INSTRUCTIONS" below for more details.
- To schedule your drive or visit, contact email@example.com or call 508-587-9091. We will create a flyer with the details (dates, drop-off locations, your group logo if applicable, etc.) and email it to you to print, post, email and share on social media. The flyers let people know you are collecting new school supplies for kids facing homelessness and include a list of needed items. Some suggestions are provided below, but you can also visit the School on Wheels' website to get a list of the most up-to-date needs.
- Let people know how long you are running your collection (at least 2 or 3 weeks is suggested) and where they should bring their donations. Be sure to ask permission before placing donation bins in your selected location(s). Mark the bins clearly with signs telling all the details of your drive. Be sure to let people know that items should be new.
- Put signs in visible places, as well as on your collection boxes. (Be sure to ask first before posting signs.) Electronic flyers, email and social media are also great ways to get the word out. Ask family and friends to help spread the word too!
- Periodically check your donation bins during the course of your drive and empty out, as necessary (to make more room).
- At the end of the collection period, complete our online material donation form so we can send you a receipt/thank you. If you have people who would like a personal receipt/thank you for tax purposes, please list their names and contact details.
- Mail or schedule (by email or phone) a drop off of your donations to the address below. Be sure to let them know you learned about this opportunity from Project Giving Kids!
School on Wheels - MA
100 Laurel Street
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
SUGGESTED SCHOOL SUPPLIES NEEDED - ALL ITEMS MUST BE NEW
- Quality backpacks for boys & girls K-12
- Books (new) for boys & girls K - 12
- Large Pencil Boxes
- Zippered Pencil Pouches
- Fun Pencils
- Large Erasers
- Glue Sticks
- Blunt Children's Scissors
- Pencil Sharpeners (with cover)
- Washable Markers Broad Tip (8 pack)
- Colored Pencils
- Red Pens
- Flexible Plastic Rulers
- Mechanical Pencils
- Index Cards (100 pack)
- Calculators (square root & scientific)
- Shiny Pocket Folders
- Composition Notebooks
- Single Subject Notebooks
- 1" Binders
- Binder Dividers
- 3-Holed, Lined Paper