At one of our two locations:
12515 Venice Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90066
Ongoing activity throughout the school year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
None (project can be done by an individual with limited/no adult involvement)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Volunteers help students get the attention and help they need but may not be getting at school. They also serve as supportive friends who assist and inspire students for a few hours at the end of the school day. In other words, our volunteers help our students thrive in the classroom and beyond!
826LA's After-School Tutoring Program helps students ages 6 to 11 do homework, read, and write through one-on-one attention and support. Volunteers support students with their homework, and students respond to creative writing prompts daily. Kids become better writers; friendships are made; and kids get to see their works published every few months at a publication party, complete with live readings of student writings AND roaring applause!
In addition to the training, background check, and application explained below, you'll also need transportation to/from one of our tutoring centers in Mar Vista or Echo Park.
High school students ages 16+ are invited to volunteer for some of our programs.
There are three easy steps you need to take:
- Sign up HERE for our Volunteering 101 orientation. During Volunteering 101 you’ll gain more information about 826LA, our programs, tips for being an effective volunteer, and more!
- All 826LA volunteers must complete a background check via Live Scan fingerprinting service (you can learn more about our Live Scan process here). We will share more about this process at orientation.
- Fill out our online volunteer form. You’ll receive the link for this after signing up for an orientation.
- Lastly, once your background check is clear, you’ll receive a welcome email and a link to our online Projects Calendar, where all 826LA volunteers can sign up for upcoming projects.
- Still have questions, you can email us at email@example.com or call us at: Echo Park 213-413-3388 or Mar Vista 310-915-0200.
- Please let us know you found out about this opportunity through PGK!