This can be done in person where volunteers and consumers are required to meet outside, and stay 6 feet apart. (See safety guidelines for full details). This can also be done virtually if a consumer and volunteer has the capability to use a platform such as Zoom or FaceTime.
Volunteering is usually once a week for 2 hours, or once every other week for 2-3 hours.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Transportation may need to be provided.
Volunteers 17 years old and under MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Volunteers strengthen our commitment to supporting individuals living with vision loss.
Help a neighbor stay up-to-date on all information, bills, and correspondence. Volunteers can help sort, organize, and pay bills by opening and reading mail to consumers.
Volunteers can provide support with reading mail, but we are still asking for all physical distancing guidelines to be followed. Therefore, we are recommending
- Mail to be read in a safe location outside of their home such as a backyard, courtyard, or common space. Volunteers and consumers need to wear masks and follow State and City social distancing guidelines. Please social distance if a volunteer needs to enter a one’s home in order to access their backyard or outdoor space.
- For all in-person interactions, including those in which social distancing guidelines are followed, we ask that the consumer and volunteer ask each other the below COVID screening questions. The meeting should not happen if either the consumer of volunteer answers yes to any question.
- All recommended State and City guidelines including wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer are required. If needed for the consumer’s safety, sighted guide is allowed.
To be matched with a consumer, prospective volunteers must:
- Complete an online application and choose from a list of tasks you are willing to help with, (volunteers can choose to help with more than one task)
- Take a virtual training
- Have a brief interview with the Volunteer Department Staff
See VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below for details.
- Complete this form.
- Select "Family Volunteer"
- Let them know you heard about this opportunity through Project Giving Kids.
- You will be matched based on your location, etc.
- If you have any questions, please contact Alexandra Maggio at firstname.lastname@example.org for Eastern MA (East of Worcester County) or Neejaa Edmonds at email@example.com for Central & Western MA.
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.