In your home - or wherever you like to read!
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
An adult will have to support the reader with the collection of pledges and the final donation to Gaining Ground. See “View Instructions”.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The money raised by reading helps purchase the organic seeds for the farm. Read for Seeds pays for almost 70 percent of the seeds needed to grow 60 different vegetables annually. Since its inception, Read for Seeds has raised more than $120,000 and helped buy the seeds to grow almost a half million pounds of organic produce for hunger relief. All produce raised by Gaining Ground is donated to meal programs and food pantries, serving those in need throughout the greater Boston area.
Quarantined but want to make a Difference? For more than 20 years, students have helped fight hunger by participating in our Read for Seeds program. This is an annual read-a-thon that links fundraising, education, and community action.
A good book or few; Pledgers, a reading log and pledge form (see "View Instructions" for link to forms).
It might be helpful if your parent/guardian uses Venmo or PayPal to collect your pledges and then donate online or by check for the entire amount collected.
Ask your parent/guardian if you can participate in the Read for Seeds program to support Gaining Ground as well as your love of reading. Go to "View Instructions" for more details.
- Once you have your parent’s approval, consider asking friends from your school and community; siblings and cousins, neighbors, to join you in this FUNdraiser!
- Set a start and end date.
- Watch the video at the link about Gaining Ground so you understand the impact that you will make in supporting this nonprofit farm.
- Download the reading log and pledge form HERE.
- Ask friends, family and neighbors (through email, social media or phone) to pledge money for each page you read before your end date.
- At the end of your date, report back to each of your sponsors letting them know how many pages you read and how much they owe you for your community service. For example, if you read 50 pages and they sponsored 10 cents a page, they make a donation of $5.00.
- If you have any questions about the Read for Seeds program, please contact Allison Goodwin at Allison@gainingground.org.
- Once you have collected all your pledges, you can donate directly to Gaining Ground by check or online. This amount is fully tax-deductible and Gaining Ground will mail or email a tax receipt. If donating by check, please put your name and “Read for Seeds” in the memo line, make it payable to:
Attn: Allison Goodwin
P.O. Box 374
Concord, MA 01742