WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDGroup
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
At Families First, we provide important education and resources to parents who are facing difficult situations, like homelessness, poverty, and violence. We give them tools to be the best parents they can be for their kids. By conducting a read-a-thon to support our work, not only will you be able to read a favorite book (or two), your efforts and donation will help make parents and their children thrive!
Put your love of books to good use and create a read-a-thon fundraiser to support parents and children by reading to a friend, a sibling or a parent. In doing so, you will help support Families First, an organization providing essential education and support to families facing difficult situations like homelessness, poverty, and violence.
1. A reading log with tips for a successful read-a-thon (see below)
2. Your favorite books
3. Someone to read to or with (like a friend, a sibling or a parent)
4. A safe place to keep your donations (like a zip pouch or piggy bank)
To request the read-a-thon materials you will need to begin, contact Stacey Ellsworth at email@example.com or (617) 868-7687 x10.
1. Send an email to Families First to request the read-a-thon packet. Once received, print the reading log, sponsor sheet and tips pages.
2. Choose a goal for how much money you would like to raise. This will help you identify how many sponsors you will need and how long you will want to run your read-a-thon. (We suggest at least one week.)
3. Ask people to sponsor you. Your family may be a good place to start, and they can help you make a list of other people to ask. Be sure to tell people why you doing the read-a-thon and what Families First is all about.
4. Have your sponsors decide how much they would like to sponsor you. For example, they may want to sponsor you $1 for every five minutes you read. Be sure to track your sponsors on the "my goals and sponsors" sheet.
5. Track your progress. Be sure to use the template to track how long you read and who you read to/with each day.
6. When you have reached your goal, collect your donations from your sponsors.
7. Mail your donations to Families First at 99 Bishop Allen Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139 or make an online contribution at www.families-first.org. Be sure to include that the donation was made from a read-a-thon and the reader's name!