SAN FRANCISCO LOCATIONS and MARIN LOCATIONS available. Go to the below link to see a list of SF and Marin locations. Each location has an eventbrite for registration and more details!
Daily options available.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The Food Bank distributes food through a network of 450+ partners. These organizations, for example, schools, churches, and community centers, are located throughout San Francisco and Marin, aiming to provide accessibility to community members where they live or work. These partners are responsible for organizing, staffing, and leading their distribution. In general, our partners receive and distribute food on a weekly schedule, and some would benefit from a long-term volunteer.
Unfortunately, many of our more than 275 community food pantries have had to close recently due to other COVID-19 challenges because of reduced volunteers, loss of a location, or other concerns. To support those who no longer have access to their food pantry, the Food Bank is opening a number of pop-up pantries throughout San Francisco and Marin. And we need your help to make that possible.
We are looking for volunteer assistance at these weekly food pantries.
Shifts will take place outdoors, most often on the sidewalk or a parking lot, and to further protect the health of volunteers and participants we are:
- Asking participants to keep a sizable distance from one another while in line.
- Pre-bagging groceries for participants to minimize contact between participants and volunteers.
- Encouraging all other best practices: cleaning surfaces regularly, providing hand sanitizer, and wearing gloves.
We hope these measures will help us strike a balance between keeping our community safe while also performing the essential service of getting food to those who need it. But we encourage you to consider your own health before deciding to volunteer.
Suggested: personal protective equipment (gloves, mask, hand sanitizer)
Please note: Pop-Up Pantries are a very fluid means of distribution. We do not know how many participants will arrive and the length of distribution may be dependent upon attendance. Additionally, we currently may not have access to any of the facilities including water or restrooms.
You can find current volunteer opportunities below, and we encourage you to check back often as our needs are ever-changing. You can sign up for a volunteer spot via the Eventbrite page associated with each opportunity. Many dates have filled, but we are working on opening additional sites, as well as adjusting the number of volunteers needed as we learn more about the capacity of each site. Please check back often, as spots may open up at currently full sites.
We thank you for your flexibility as we meet this emergent need. Again, thank you so much. The outpouring of support we’ve received in the past few days is inspiring.
- Check the list of locations under "Where" to find a pop-up pantry near you in San Francisco or Marin.
- Select a location and register to help at a particular time slot using Eventbrite and the links provided here.
- Contact Debbi at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you have along the way.
- Show up to assist at the location/time you selected.
- Know you are helping feed hungry people during this difficult time!