DURATIONMore than 4 hours
This activity is best done at school, after-school program, or with the help of a team of friends!
Ongoing activity throughout the year.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Mom, Dad or other grown-up (some adult facilitation/involvement may be required to help with book delivery).
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Every child should have a book — or many books! By gathering books for students who are learning to read, you are helping them find out all the different ways reading can be fun and helping build their reading library at the same time.
Help collect books for Kindergarten through 4th grade students who are learning how to read!
1. Bins or boxes in which to collect book donations
2. Signs/posters to decorate your collection bins and to post in places where you are promoting your drive
Once books are collected, they can be dropped off at either our Oakland office or San Francisco office (see addresses below). Please reach out to Lexy Sistrunk via e-mail at email@example.com for questions or to set up a drop-off time.
See VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below for details.
1. Identify a location at which to collect book donations. This could be a school, a place of worship, an after-school program, a soccer tournament, or any other place where you think others can easily drop off new or gently used books. This is something a grown-up can help with.
2. Decide how long you will run your drive and make signs listing your drive details: location, duration, who will benefit from the donations, etc.
3. Tell everyone about your book drive! —You can make your own posters or ask Lexy Sistrunk for help by e-mailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may want to use social media too to help promote your drive as well.
4. Deliver the collected books to one of our Reading Partners offices. Please contact Lexy at email@example.com to schedule a drop off or for more details!
Oakland Office drop-off:
180 Grand Ave, Ste. 800
Oakland, CA 94610
SF Office drop-off:
474 Valencia St, Ste. 210
San Francisco, CA 94103
5. Be sure to let us know that you found this volunteer opportunity through PGK!
6. Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.