In your community - your neighborhood, school, place of worship, local business, etc. - whatever works best for you!
All year long
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, troop, or other group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
By collecting new socks, often a luxury for homeless individuals, you'll help keep vulnerable people healthy, safe, and warm AND help them maintain their dignity and comfort during a very difficult time in their lives.
Fresh, clean socks are so important for our health, comfort, and dignity. In the winter, we also need them to keep warm. But for the Boston community's homeless people, warm, clean socks are often a luxury. By participating in Operation Sock Drop, you not only help keep our community's neediest, most vulnerable people safe, warm, and healthy, but you will also help maintain their dignity and comfort during this most difficult time in their lives. The shelters we support give out 8,000 pairs each year, so we are always in great need!
1. Paper and printer to make signs (or markers if making by hand)
2. Collection bins
Download the Operation Sock Drop flyer here and make a plan for hosting your drive. Follow the instructions provided. For questions, contact Jamie O'Neal O'Laughlin at email@example.com or (617) 942-8683 OR Mariann Bucina Roca at firstname.lastname@example.org or (617) 942-8671.
1. Download our flyer here. If you plan to do a larger drive, make signs indicating that you are collecting brand new socks for the homeless as well as your collection period.
2. Place your collection bins and your signs in your chosen location(s) for the duration of your drive. Be sure you have received permission to put the collection bins in your chosen location(s). We recommend running a drive for at least two weeks.
3. Check your collection bins periodically and empty them, as necessary, to make room for new donations.
4. At the end of your collection period, mail or deliver your donations to:
John Comaschi, In-Kind Donations Coordinator
Southampton Emergency Shelter
112 Southampton Street
Boston, MA 02118
*We ask that you schedule a drop-off time if delivering (rather than mailing). Please contact John at the Southampton Emergency Shelter at (617) 534-6130 to schedule a time.