Pasadena, Mid-City, Lawndale and Santa Monica
Ongoing activity throughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDNone, unless under age 14; adult supervision required for those under 14
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
The time you dedicate to Reading Partners will make a difference in the life of a child. More than simply reading with a child, you will help your student gain key foundational skills to become a stronger reader. By sharing your knowledge and expertise, you will become mentors, friends, and positve role models to the children you work with.
Together with our schools in the Los Angeles Area, Reading Partners focuses on students who are at least one month behind in reading, harnessing the power of community volunteers to provide individualized instruction to help them master the reading fundamentals they need to reach grade level. Our trained, committed community volunteers work one-on-one with these students, delivering a simple proven curriculum each week to help the child begin to gain lost ground.
Reliable transportation and a weekly committment (min. 45 minutes); all other supplies provided at the centers.
Volunteers must be 14+, unless supervised by an adult.
Call us at (213)399-8599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on signing up to become a weekly tutor.
1. Decide if you can commit a minimum of 45 minutes each week to assist a child in need of reading support.
2. Email email@example.com to learn more about the program and to get the details of the required in-person tutor orientation.
3. Attend the in-person tutor orientation where you will learn about our easy-to-follow curriculum and the reading centers in the Los Angeles area where one-on-one literacy tutoring is provided.
4. Sign up for at least one, 45-minute session per week. Remember, you will also need to arrive early to prep for the lesson, and stay after to complete notes on how the session went with your student.
5. Begin making a difference in the life of a child!