ONE BOX can be completed from home.
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to challenge and disrupt communities around the globe, the African Library Project is working tirelessly to continue to get books into the hands of eager readers.
Our response to COVID-19: Keep the books flowing! Send just ONE BOX of children’s books and we will combine them to create full libraries. Can’t host a book drive at all? Support the African Library Project and help us donate masks in the Bay Area. We’re partnering with HomeFirst, a local nonprofit, to give reusable face masks for every $25 you donate.
Books and the box to pack them in!
Join Us to Start Small Libraries in Malawi. It’s easy! Start by registering at ONE BOX Sign Up, then follow the steps below.
Step 1: Collect one or more boxes of children’s books
- Check your bookshelves
- Ask your neighbors. Nextdoor.com works great!
- Put a flyer up in your apartment building
Step 2: Sort your books
- Books should be in good condition – something you would be proud to have in your own library
- PreK-8th grade reading levels
- Fiction, nonfiction, or reference books like children’s encyclopedias, dictionaries or atlases
- No US holidays or religious books
Step 3: Pack your books
- Use a sturdy cardboard box (no larger than 12” x 12” x 16”)
- Pack your box carefully and adhere the US Post Office Media Mail label we will email to you
Step 4: Mail your box
- Pay about $20 at US Post Office (depends on weight of box)
- Mail by July 1st, but the sooner the better
Step 5: Spread the word!
- Take a picture while you pack
- Use your social media to inspire your friends to help get books to Africa