Various locations based on which race you choose within our list of running team events or participate in a race of your own choice.
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDFamily
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your participation fosters awareness, community building and inclusion, teamwork and fundraising to support our free services. And many smiles for all.
“We run for all those who can’t.” SMILE Mass Ambassadors get the privilege to enable kids and adults with disabilities the chance to do it all! Our Ambassadors will support a Captain (individual with disabilities) through an entire race, allowing them their moment of glory of finishing a road race; being part of their community, doing what so many families take for granted!
A desire to run or walk in a 5K or longer for all those who can't and to raise money and awareness for SMILE Mass in the process.
Junior Ambassadors under the age of 18 will need a parent/guardian signature when registering for road races.
- An Ambassador is anyone who is able to run or walk a 5K road race.
- As a SMILE Mass Ambassador, you commit to run a minimum of 3 – 5 races with SMILE Mass. You can take part in the races listed on our site or in any race of your choosing.
- Adult Ambassadors can simply run a road race for SMILE Mass or they can choose to assist a Duo athlete to complete a road race, in which case you will become the eyes, ears or legs for the Duo athlete.
- Junior Ambassadors run the 5K road race and receive their finish time. After finishing, if they choose, they can go back out on the race route to assist the Adult Ambassador to cross the finish line with a Duo athlete. The goal of the junior ambassador team is to promote inclusion, build self-confidence and teach our children that we can all make a difference.
- Run for Free – All fees pertaining to any road race you wish to participate in, must be paid by the runner themselves. However, if you wish to take part in the fundraising efforts on behalf of SMILE Mass, through the various fundraising opportunities we have available, or simply by setting up a fundraising page, SMILE Mass will set aside 50% of what you raise to cover registration fees, t-shirts, and any other expenses pertaining to the road races you participate in.
- Being an Ambassador for SMILE Mass means you can run your own road races of your choice, in your neighborhood, town or city, while wearing SMILE Mass running apparel, or simply tap into the SMILE Mass road races already arranged. If you are fundraising for SMILE Mass, all you have to do is send us your registration receipt and we will reimburse you. Furthermore, if you are running with a loved one with disabilities, let us know so that we can get you the proper equipment.
- Duo athletes are special-needs children and young adults of any ability who will either be pushed in specialized joggers (200 lb. limit) or, if able, they can bike, walk, etc.
- Duo runners are adults willing to assist a Duo athlete, often times pushing them in a specialized jogging stroller through a road race.
- Duo athletes participate free of charge for any road race organized by SMILE Mass. For races organized by others, Duo athletes will need to go through the standard registration process in order to receive a race bib number (if they wish to receive a recorded time).
- Determine which 5K Road race you want to join. This can be one of our team races or your own selection.
- Being an Ambassador for SMILE Mass means you can run your own road races of your choice, in your neighborhood, town or city, while wearing SMILE Mass running apparel, or simply tap into the SMILE Mass road races already arranged.
- Decide if you want to join a team, create a team or register as an individual.
- If you would like to join the SMILE Mass Team, review our upcoming choice of races and register.
- Share with family and friends and encourage them to join in the fun.
- Additional questions? Email Susan Brown or call her at 978-460-7410.