At home, with your class at school, a youth group or anywhere you get together with your friends
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDGroup
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Chewing is a natural way for dogs to relax and to play, but some families can't afford to buy toys for their pets. You can help them by making some special toys for their dogs to play with!
Have fun crafting these braided dog toys for dogs from low-income families. Their pet parents cannot afford to buy them lots of toys so they will be so grateful to receive any made by you! They will thank you from the bottom of their paws!
- 18 inch squares of colorful fabric per toy OR an old t-shirt
Just an adult to lend a hand.
Click on VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below. When finished, mail your toys to Karma Rescue at 2632 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 155PBM, Santa Monica, CA 90403. Or you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 512-7833.
- Cut the colorful fabric squares into strips. Put one strip aside to use later. (If using an old t-shirt, cut the t-shirt vertically into long strips. Put the sleeves aside to use later.)
- Braid the strips into a long braid. You can use 2-3 strips of material for each section of the braid to make a thicker/fatter toy.
- Take the one strip you set aside and cut it into two pieces. You'll use these two smaller strips to tie each end of the braid so it stays braided. (If you're using an old t-shirt, cut the sleeves open so they become two short strips.)
- Tightly tie a small strip around each end of the braid about 2 inches away from the tip. Then ruffle up the tips of the braid so the edges are fringed like a frayed rope.
- You're done! Make as many braided toys as you like with your family and friends and deliver the finished product to your local shelter or send them to us at Karma Rescue.