At your home, with delivery to a local hospital near year.
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Your Jared Box will entertain and lift the spirits of a child in the hospital. It can be difficult and sometimes scary to be in a hospital when you're a kid. Your box filled with well wishes, fun and love will make a child feel special and help them feel better during a difficult time in their lives.
A Jared Box is a plastic shoe box filled with games, toys, activities and notes for a child undergoing medical treatment in a hospital. Boxes are easy, fun, and inexpensive to make and can lift the spirits of a child in a hospital NEAR YOU! Whether you make one or more Jared Boxes, you can help entertain children going through a tough period in their young lives by giving the gift of play.
Doing this activity for Create the Change®? Don't forget to register for the DIY CTC® Challenge to track your efforts and for your chance to join our end-of-week wrap party full of surprises!
1. Shoe box sized clear plastic container with lid (or multiple if making more than one)
2. Small toys, games, stuffed animals, art supplies, books, stickers, etc. for a selected age group (i.e., boy, age 4-8)
3. Stickers to decorate your box
4. A printer, peel-and-stick labels and card stock
Check out our website at www.thejaredbox.com where you will find the labels and note cards you need to download and print, along with a hospital directory to help you identify a hospital near you that might like to receive your boxes. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. See VIEW INSTRUCTIONS for details.
*COVID-19 may impact some healthcare facilities' ability to receive boxes. Double check before making any deliveries and please take appropriate precautions in preparing the boxes.
1. Purchase a clear, plastic shoe box size storage bin at a local craft, department, or dollar store OR online.
2. Select whether you want to make a box for a boy or a girl and the approximate age of the child.
3. Go to a local craft, department and/or dollar store OR online to select some items for your box. Items can include books, small games, stuffed animals, toys, balls, stickers, arts and crafts and anything else you think might be fun and easy for a child in the hospital to enjoy. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY FOOD OR CANDY.
4. Once your box is full, download the Jared Box labels and standard note card at www.thejaredbox.com. Put the labels on the box and write a card with special well wishes and warm thoughts from you.
5. Check the hospital directory on our website: www.thejaredbox.com to find a local hospital near you that could benefit from your donation (if you don't have one in mind already). If you run into any problems finding a hospital, please email us at email@example.com and we can help!
6. Contact the hospital and ask if they would like to receive your special box of toys for one (or more) of their patients. Find a time to make the delivery. Be sure to confirm with the healthcare facility how COVID-19 may be impacting their ability to receive Jared Boxes. If unable to accept at this time, hold your Jared Box until restrictions are lifted.
7. Drop off your Jared Box and know you helped brighten the day of another child!
8. Be sure to let us know that you found this activity through PGK!
9. Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.