DURATIONLess than 30 Minutes
In the comfort of your own home!
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Every day, some of our Team Members conduct outreach to those who are currently living on the streets. An important part of our outreach efforts is distributing hygiene kits. These tote bags will help our outreach team carry more hygiene kits with them. They may also be used by our Team Members on their regular shifts in the community to carry supplies, or to carry donations and other items from one place to another. We do know this -- we can never have enough reusable bags!
Downtown Streets Team is a work experience program that is aiming to end homelessness through the dignity of work while simultaneously beautifying our communities.
Using only an old T-shirt and a pair of scissors, you can create a tote bag that will be used by members of our organization to carry hygiene kits and other necessities.
Old t-shirt(s), sharp fabric scissors, embellishments are optional.
Watch this video to learn how to make the Tote-bags and collect the needed supplies! See the step-by-step instructions in VIEW INSTRUCTIONS for more details!
- Watch this video to learn how to make the Tote-bags.
- Gather the materials you'll need! (Make sure to ask your parent or guardian before cutting up any shirts.)
- Make the bag(s) by following the instructions in the video.
- Fold the shirt in half.
- Cut the sleeves off following the seem using fabric scissors.
- Cut a deep U at the neck.
- Turn inside out and cut strips 3- 4 inches wide creating a fringe.
- Tie strips together.
- Close gaps by tying top strip to adjacent strip. Repeat along the fringe.
- Turn inside out and your bag is complete!
- Email email@example.com to coordinate dropping off or mailing your bag(s) to us.
- Be sure to let us know that you found this activity through PGK by including a packaging slip.
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.