At your school, camp, place of worship, a local business, or in your neighborhood
All year long
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, troop, or other group of like-minded kids (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Many families come to LA Family Housing with no belongings. This means they need everything from shampoo to toothpaste to new socks. By providing hygiene items and/or household items for these families, you can bring a big relief to those working to get back on their feet.
Many families come to LA Family Housing with no belongings. This means they need everything from shampoo to new socks. Educate your peers and your community members about what we do here at LA Family Housing as you collect much needed hygiene items for LA Family Housing residents. The drive can be as simple as holding a "Toothpaste Tuesday" collection, or collecting items on LA Family Housing's "Wish List."
1. A list of talking points - which LA Family Housing will provide - so you can tell others about who we are, what we do, and how their donations will help the homeless
2. Poster board and markers to make signs OR paper and a printer, if making them on a computer
3. Boxes or storage bins for collecting items
Decide when and where to do your drive and follow the instructions provided. For questions or to schedule a time to drop off your donations, contact Terry Lotka at (818) 220-6936 or Tlotka@LAFH.org.
See "View Instructions" below for details!
1. Decide what you will collect. This could be a simple as one item like shampoo or toothpaste, or it could be all the makings of a basic toiletry kit. If you are struggling for ideas, check out the LA Family Housing "Wish List" or send Terry an email at Tlotka@LAFH.org.
2. Find bins or boxes in which to collect your donations and make signs for the boxes indicating what you are collecting and the timeframe. Also note that LA Family Housing and its residents will be the lucky recipients of the donations.
3. Make general flyers and signs letting people know you are hosting a donation drive and where items can be dropped off. Post around your town/neighborhood/school for people to see. (We recommend at least two weeks of advertising before beginning your drive and that you run the drive itself for at least two weeks.) You may also want to share news of your drive via email, social media, etc. Be sure to ask family & friends to help spread the word!
4. Periodically check your collection boxes and clean out, as necessary. At the end of the drive, collect the boxes, remove the signs, and organize the donations by item.
5. Ask an adult to drop off the sorted donations to:
LA Family Housing
7843 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91605
6. Be sure to let us know this volunteer activity came from PGK.
7. Fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.