Southwest Boston (Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Roslindale, and West Roxbury)
All year round
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Help is needed from mom, dad or another grown up
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Getting through a grocery store can sometimes be a difficult task for seniors - heavy items to move and carry, making sure all necessary items are purchased, comparing prices to get the best deal. By helping a senior with their food shopping, you'll help make sure they have the items the need to make their meals and stay healthy. Your company during these outings is a wonderful gift too!
Everyone needs access to healthy food, but getting to the grocery store on a regular basis can be a challenge for some seniors. By helping a senior do his or her grocery shopping every week (or two), you can help make sure they have the food they need to stay well and also offer the gift of your company on an ongoing basis.
A reliable mode of transportation to get to/from the senior's home and the grocery store
A minimum commitment of six months is required. CORI background checks are also required for adults participating in this activity.
To get involved helping seniors with their shopping, please contact Meg at (617) 522-6700 x323 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Meg will help you set everything up for this project. A minimum commitment of six months is required. CORI background checks are also required for adults participating in this activity.
1. Contact Ethos to have your family matched with a senior who may be in need of grocery shopping help.
2. Call the senior to find out when (day and time) they might like to go do their food shopping.
3. With mom or dad, go pick up your special senior at the day and time you agreed to. Be sure they have their complete grocery list with them.
4. Have fun at the store helping pick up all the items on their list.
5. Help your special senior put all their groceries away when you take them home.
6. Plan your next outing and look forward to helping again!
*Note: This is an ongoing activity and is usually done every 1-2 weeks, depending on the needs of the senior.