WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Our shelter cats, dogs and rabbits stay happy and entertained while they patiently wait for new homes with the toys and treats made for them by volunteers like you.
Cats, dogs and rabbits at the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA (PHS) are patiently waiting for new homes. You can help entertain and keep them happy by making toys! Completed service projects may be submitted any time Tuesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. to the PHS Volunteer Services Office. Please feel free to ask for a service hours acknowledgement form when you submit your completed projects.
- Rubber Sink Mat with holes (12 x 15 inches is recommended)
- 1 yard of fleece (thinner fleece is better)
Some adult help might be required!
Collect and organize all of your supplies! Then, "VIEW INSTRUCTIONS" for step-by-step instructions.
- Cut fleece into strips. The strips should be about 1.5 inches wide, and anywhere from 4 to 8 inches long. Variety in length makes for a more interactive mat.
- Starting on the edge of the first row of the mat, take a strip of fleece and push one end through the first hole of the first row and the other through the second. Flip the mat over and tie the strip once (no need to double knot it).
- Take a second strip and push one end through the second hole alongside the strip already there, then push the other end through the third hole. Again, turn over the mat and knot the strip. Continue until you finish one length of the rubber mat. Repeat on the second row of holes.
- When you have two rows done, take a strip of fleece and push one end through the first hole in the first row, then push the other end through the first hole in the second row. Turn the mat over and single-knot the fleece. This strip is at right angles to the first one. Continue between the first and second rows until completed.
- Repeat this process on subsequent rows until all holes in the mat have been filled in.
- When done, check the bottom of the mat to make sure there are no empty holes or missed cross strips. If you find some, fill them in and then turn the mat over, loose strip side up, and fluff the strips.
- Submit completed projects to PG:
361 S. Raymond Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105
- Be sure to let us know that you found this volunteer activity through PGK.
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.