In your own home!
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Our shelter cats, dogs and rabbits stay happy and entertained while they patiently wait for new homes with the toys and treats made for them by volunteers like you.
Cats, dogs and rabbits at the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA (PHS) are patiently waiting for new homes. You can help entertain and keep them happy by making toys! Completed service projects may be submitted any time Tuesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. to the PHS Volunteer Services Office. Please feel free to ask for a service hours acknowledgement form when you submit your completed projects.
- Tennis ball
- 2 pieces of fleece (44? x 6?)
- 1 piece of fleece (10? x 1?)
Adult help might be needed.
Collect and organize all your supplies!
- Use scissors to cut fleece into 2 pieces measuring 44? by 6? and 1 piece measuring 10? x 1?.
- Lay the two wide strips of fabric in the shape of an X and place the ball in the middle.
- Wrap the ball with all the layers and gather the strips at the bottom of the ball.
- Take your skinny strip and tie a tight double knot to secure the fabric-wrapped ball. Now you should have four wide strips hanging from the base of your ball.
- Cut each of the four strips into three even sections. You will have 12 sections total.
- Braid the 3 newly cut strips and knot it at the bottom. Repeat until you have 4 braids total.
- Note: it is very important that the braids be tight. If the braids are loose, we will be unable to give them to the dogs due to safety issues
To learn more about this craft, check out this video.