WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Our shelter cats, dogs and rabbits stay happy and entertained while they patiently wait for new homes with the toys and treats made for them by volunteers like you.
Cats, dogs and rabbits at the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA (PHS) are patiently waiting for new homes. You can help entertain and keep them happy by making toys! Completed service projects may be submitted any time Tuesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. to the PHS Volunteer Services Office. Please feel free to ask for a service hours acknowledgement form when you submit your completed projects.
- Small balloon
- Roll of toilet paper
Some adult supervision might be required.
Collect and organize all your supplies!
- Blow up the balloon and place it on the open end of the cup.
- Wet strips of the toilet paper in water and plaster it around the balloon leaving an opening.
- For the next layer, stick the dry toilet paper to the balloon and sprinkle water over the toilet paper as needed to ensure all the layers of toilet paper stick.
- Keep layering the toilet paper onto the balloon until you have used about half a roll of toilet paper.
- Once the layering is done, it is time to dry! You can either stick the hidey hut outside in the sun, somewhere dry inside, or you can use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process. After a few hours, the hidey hut should be dry enough to remove the balloon!
- To remove the balloon, pop it and then remove the popped balloon from the inside of the hidey hut.
- Set the hidey hut back in its drying place to finish drying. It can take up to 2 days for the toy to completely dry.
- Once your hidey hut is completely dry, it is ready to be given to your hamster!
Remember always to use clean, unscented toilet paper for small animal toys and never allow a small animal to interact with an inflated or deflated balloon.