At home at your kitchen table or with your class or Scout troop wherever you usually get together
All year long
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, Scout troop, sports team or other group of like-minded kids
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Chewing is a natural way for dogs to relax and to play, but some families can't afford to buy toys for their pets. You can help by making some special toys for them to play with!
Have fun crafting these braided dog toys for dogs with pet parents who cannot buy them toys of their own. They will thank you from the bottom of their paws!
2. 18 inch squares of colorful fabric per toy OR an old t-shirt
Follow the instructions provided. When finished, mail your toys to Karma Rescue at 1158 26th Street, Suite 155PBM, Santa Monica, CA 90403. Or you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 512-7833.
1. Cut the colorful fabric squares into strips. Put one strip aside to use later. (If using an old t-shirt, cut the t-shirt vertically into long strips. Put the sleeves aside to use later.)
2. Braid the strips into a long braid. You can use 2-3 strips of material for each section of the braid to make a thicker/fatter toy.
3. Take the one strip you set aside and cut it into two pieces. You'll use these two smaller strips to tie each end of the braid so it stays braided. (If you're using an old t-shirt, cut the sleeves open so they become two short strips.)
4. Tightly tie a small strip around each end of the braid about 2 inches away from the tip. Then ruffle up the tips of the braid so the edges are fringed like a frayed rope.
5. You're done! Make as many braided toys as you like with your family and friends and deliver the finished product to your local shelter or send them to us at Karma Rescue.