Guadalupe River Park, 438 Coleman Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Established in 1995, the purpose of the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden was to provide a safe haven for important rose species and to connect the public with the rare and beautiful flowers. The garden is an environmental showcase because it is designed to use the least amount of labor, water, and other resources possible. In addition, it is an all volunteer maintenance garden, and it has an integrated pest management (no chemical) policy.
The garden is the largest public collection of rose varieties in the Western Hemisphere and one of the largest in the world. Because volunteers do all the work required to plant and maintain the garden, it is also the largest of all volunteer gardens in the world.
Come help us spruce up the PlayGarden!
With shelter in place enacted and not being able to operate the PlayGarden, many landscaping and maintenance tasks have been on hold. Limited to the first 14 who sign up, we are looking for volunteers to help us get back into shape for when we are able to open it again. We know many are anxious to help our parks these days, please join us as we practice safe measures of volunteerism.
We will be adhering to County Public Health recommendations, which includes:
- You must bring and wear a face mask at all times during the volunteer event. If you are unable to wear a mask for any reason this event will not be a good fit for you.
- Social distancing (6 feet apart) is required unless volunteers are from the same household.
- Please note, volunteers will not be able to play on the equipment within the PlayGarden under any circumstance. Playgrounds are not approved for opening yet and we are strictly working on landscaping and maintenance.
In addition, please note that:
- You must bring your own work gloves suitable for working in a garden, we are unable to provide any.
- Please bring a full water bottle (the water fountain will be unavailable).
- The restrooms will not be available for use.
Volunteers are asked to arrive by 8:45am for a contact-less sign-in, workday instructions will follow. Please arrive on time as the gate to the PlayGarden will be closed and locked promptly at 9:00am. We will be providing necessary tools for cleanup and maintenance efforts. The work will begin at 9:00am running through 11:00am.
Minimum age to volunteer is 10 years old. Chaperones are required age 10-15.
Visit our Eventbrite page to sign up (required) and read about our opportunity in more details!