Meet at the Heritage Rose Garden shed. Parking can be found at the Seymour parking lot at the intersection of Seymour & Walnut, or 412 Seymour St. San Jose, CA.
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Mom, Dad or other grown-up (some adult facilitation/involvement required if under 15)
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Established in 1995, the purpose of the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden was to provide a safe haven for important rose species and to connect the public with the rare and beautiful flowers. The garden is an environmental showcase because it is designed to use the least amount of labor, water, and other resources possible. In addition, it is an all volunteer maintenance garden, and it has an integrated pest management (no chemical) policy.
The garden is the largest public collection of rose varieties in the Western Hemisphere and one of the largest in the world. Because volunteers do all the work required to plant and maintain the garden, it is also the largest of all volunteer gardens in the world.
Community workdays at the Heritage Rose Garden are back on!! Come help us get the rose garden back in shape!
Come work in the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden (HRG), a unique collection of 3,600 antique and modern roses. Established in 1995 through an extensive community effort, the garden contains 2,600 varieties, more varieties than any other rose garden in the Western Hemisphere. While the City of San Jose supplies materials, it is maintained primarily by volunteers!
Projects will vary with the time of the year. Volunteers can learn how to maintain their own roses or just enjoy helping with the maintenance of this special rose garden.
We will be adhering to County Public Health recommendations, which includes:
- You must bring and wear a face mask at all times during the volunteer event. If you are unable to wear a mask for any reason this event will not be a good fit for you.
- Social distancing (6 feet apart) is required unless volunteers are from the same household.
In addition, please note that:
- You must bring your own work gloves suitable for working in a rose garden, we are unable to provide any.
- Please bring a full water bottle (the water fountain will be unavailable).
- The restrooms will not be available for use.
Minimum age to volunteer is 14 years old. Chaperones are required age 15 and under.
For more information, please email visit our Eventbrite link (sign up required).