In your community, anywhere in the U.S.!
All year long
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Class, Scout troop or other group of like-minded kids, as well as a teacher and/or other adult to help with the collection and delivery
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
69 BILLION crayons are produced per year. Imagine how many end up in landfills. If we all do our part to stop throwing away perfectly good crayons, we can make a huge difference! This eco-conscious act goes a long way because it is environmentally friendly AND helps kids in need gain much needed art supplies.
Kids can easily participate in this international initiative aimed at saving unwanted crayons from going into landfills, and instead get them into the hands of kids in need. Kids save the crayons they receive in restaurants (or ones they don't need anymore) and start a collection bin at school. They tell their friends to bring theirs in as well and after the bin is full, they deliver the crayons to a local school in need. (Crayon Collection has a handy zip code search to find the right school near you.) It's that easy!
1. A bin or basket to put the donated crayons in
2. Downloadable Crayon Collection sign (available at www.crayoncollection.org)
3. Instructions describing your collection, how long it will last and what people need to do to help (Sample language is offered on our website.)
4. Your imagination (for getting the word out to as many people as possible!)
Check out the Crayon Collection site for instructions on how to find a Title 1 school near you that can benefit from your collection. To obtain Crayon Collection pouches and/or for questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Be a part of our Crayon Recycling Program by starting your own Crayon Collection in your community. This can be done by asking local restaurants in your neighborhood to participate by donating the crayons their kid diners leave behind as well as asking friends to donate any crayons they no longer need. Collecting crayons at your school is another great option!
2. The crayons can then be donated (loose) as they are OR they can be sorted and re-packed into Crayon Collection pouches. We can provide the pouches to you via mail or you can use any rubber bands/ small bags you have.
3. As a part of the Color Kindness Project, we ask kids to write kindness notes to other kids. These notes are given along with the donated crayons. The crayons are a huge gift to the kids receiving them, and when they see a positive note from another child, they feel connected.
4. Once the crayons are collected, they can be donated to a school located near you that is in need of supplies. You can search via your zip code on the school finder on our website.
5. BONUS! Let the teachers receiving the crayons know they can then download our free standards compliant art education program so that they can incorporate art into the STEM subjects they are teaching. Details can be found here.