In your home, school or community.
All year long, but especially in the summer months leading up to the start of school.
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
School, club, business or any group of children or teens (some adult involvement may be required to help with planning and drop off of collected items).
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
You can make a difference for kids by collecting new backpacks and school supplies for children and teens facing homelessness to ensure they have what they need to succeed in school.
More than 24,000 students enrolled in Massachusetts public schools are identified as homelessness. In addition to tutoring and mentoring, we provide customized backpacks, grade-level books and academic supplies to support more than 6,000 students each year. Volunteer your family, group or company to stage a supply drive - or visit our headquarters to help customize backpacks for students in grades K - college. For a supply drive of your own, we will produce your personal flyer to help get you started. In addition to grade-level books and supplies, our volunteers add a personal note of inspiration into each backpack. You can even add a smile by including homemade origami bookmarks!
- Computer, printer and paper to make flyers/signs.
Large cardboard boxes or storage bins to collect donations.
Bags or boxes for transporting (or mailing) donated items.
All items must be NEW.
Decide when and where to hold your supply drive and follow the "VIEW INSTRUCTIONS" below for more details.
- To schedule your drive or visit, contact School on Wheels at 508-587-9091 or email email@example.com to let us know you heard about us through PGK! We will add you to our "Kids Helping Kids" program, create a flyer with your details (dates, drop-off locations, your group logo if applicable, supplies needed) and send to you via email. From there you can share your personalized flyer within your community or with friends, family, school or club! Some suggestions are provided below, but you can also visit the School on Wheels' website to get a list of the most up-to-date needs.
- Be sure to ask permission before placing donation bins in your selected location(s). Mark the bins clearly with your flyer telling all the details of your drive. Be sure to let people know that items should be new.
- Put flyers in visible places, as well as on your collection boxes. (Be sure to ask first before posting signs.) Ask family and friends to help spread the word too.
- At the end of the collection period, complete our online material donation form so we can send you a receipt/thank you. If you have people who would like a personal receipt/thank you for tax purposes, please list their names and contact details.
- Mail or schedule a drop off or pick up of your donations to the address below.
- Be sure to let us know you learned about this opportunity from Project Giving Kids!
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.
School on Wheels of Massachusetts
100 Laurel Street
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
SUGGESTED SCHOOL SUPPLIES NEEDED - ALL ITEMS MUST BE NEW
- Quality backpacks for boys & girls K-3, 4-6, and 7-12 grades.
- Books (new) for boys & girls K - 12
- Large Pencil Boxes
- Zippered Pencil Pouches
- Fun Pencils
- Large Erasers
- Glue Sticks
- Blunt Children's Scissors
- Pencil Sharpeners (with cover)
- Washable Markers Broad Tip (8 pack)
- Colored Pencils
- Red Pens
- Flexible Plastic Rulers
- Mechanical Pencils
- Index Cards (100 pack)
- Calculators (square root & scientific)
- Shiny Pocket Folders
- Composition Notebooks
- Single Subject Notebooks
- 1" Binders
- Binder Dividers
- 3-Holed, Lined Paper