Supermarket loading docks (Arlington/Medford area). Minimum age is 16.
Operations space (Arlington). Minimum age is 12 (with supervision from adult).
For pickups and deliveries: A valid driver's license and car is required. Passenger(s) of any age can accompany the driver.
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIRED
Kids 12 and under need to be accompanied by an adult at our hub.
Groups of seven people or less are welcome.
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
As a volunteer-powered organization, we couldn't do any of this without you!
Food Link needs ongoing help from volunteers to collect and distribute donated food. Volunteers generally work in groups to collect food from grocery stores, sort the food, and then deliver it to social services agencies in the area.
Most of our shifts take place at supermarket loading docks, where the minimum age is 16.
For the food sorting shifts at our operations space in Arlington, the minimum age is 12, with one adult per child supervision.
We ask that all volunteers can commit to a regular, or semi regular schedule, as that helps the efficiency of the shift (you get to know the other volunteers, the delivery sites, the flow of the day).
Please fill out this volunteer form to give an idea of your interests and availability. Our volunteer coordinator will be in touch shortly to set up a brief phone call. Click on VIEW INSTRUCTIONS below for more details.
- Groups of 4-7 volunteers meet at the loading dock of a store, where they receive food that the supermarket can no longer sell.
- The group sorts the food and makes sure each item (fruit, veggies, dairy, prepared meals, bread/baked goods, meat) are all in good condition.
- Food is re-packed into boxes for our recipient agencies that feed people in need.
- Lastly, volunteers deliver these re-packed boxes using their personal vehicle.
- Be sure to let us know that you found this volunteer activity through PGK.
- Kindly fill out this PGK impact form when you’ve completed the activity.