DURATIONLess than 30 Minutes
From the comfort and safety of your own home
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDAdult
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Youth-led initiatives help make changes that are long-term and sustainable. You have the power to make a difference!
Learn how to track energy use by utilizing an ecological footprint calculator.
- Carbon Footprint Calculator
- Internet access
- Notebook or paper
- Writing utensils
Interest in Saving the Planet and Spreading the Word!
Utilize knowledge of the human impact on
the environment to understand how
everyday actions contribute to
greenhouse gas emissions and climate
Sending or dropping off items to a nonprofit? Don't forget to tell them you found them through PGK! Download and print a packing slip here.
Your Challenge: Measure your ecological footprint and determine what factors affect it!
- Go to https://www.footprintcalculator.org/, start the quiz, and answer the questions to figure out your ecological footprint.
- Record your score here. My ecological footprint is _____ Earths.
- Use the calculator at least three times, adjust your answers each time to see how different actions will adjust your total impact. Observe how it affects your score.
- Using these observations, reflect on how your daily actions impact the Earth. Consider things like food choices, where you live, and the transportation you use.
- Now that you know more about how your choices can affect the environment, it is time to go on an energy scavenger hunt!
- Think about all the things in your home that use energy. Consider how they impact your carbon footprint. Predict how much energy they use, and then research the actual energy use. It might surprise you! Record predictions and findings. Access the pdf of the lesson document by clicking the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XKs4EN0tyOwN4PYXPbHx1cM7AnoHLfZ0/view