DURATIONLess than 30 Minutes
On your smart phone or tablet
WHENThroughout the year
WHOSE HELP IS REQUIREDNone
HOW IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
By photographing plants and animals, you will help scientists see the changes occurring in nature. Your photos will help biologists better understand the health of the forest, how climate change is affecting it, and how to better protect it. Each and every photo submitted becomes part of a global databank of biodiversity information used for both science and conservation.
Your iNaturalist photos will become part of a global biodiversity database!
Using the iNaturalist app, take photos of plants and animals to increase the global databank of biodiversity information used for both science and conservation.
A cell phone or tablet with the iNaturalist app downloaded
If you live near us, we welcome you to visit the Blue Hills and join the Better Forest Challenge.
Download the iNaturalist app, set up an account and step outside to take photos. See "VIEW INSTRUCTIONS" below for more info.
- Get your parent’s permission to load the free iNaturalist app on your phone or tablet.
- Look for iNaturalist in the App Store or Google Play. Load the app. Set up your account.
- Having trouble? Click HERE.
- Step outside!
- Open the app and select “Observe”.
- Take a photo of a weed or plant outside and “share”.
- Congrats! You are now a Citizen Scientist! You helped scientists by contributing to the massive amounts of data that they need to do their work.
Remember to open the iNaturalist app before you take your photos. Once you take a photo, remember to share the photo. Your photos will become part of a global biodiversity database!
Go back and visit your photos to see if you correctly identified! Or if someone identified for you!